Homework is work that is set to be done outside the timetabled curriculum. It contains an element of independent study in that it is not usually directly supervised by a teacher. Not all homework is done at home; in fact, for some pupils who find it hard to work at home, or for some tasks which require resources available at school, there are homework clubs after school supervised by our support staff or subject teachers. These are available to students of all ages and abilities.
Why homework is important
Homework is of benefit for the following reasons:
- it reinforces and consolidates what has been learned in lessons, affording students the opportunity to practice and perfect their learning
- it is an opportunity for the further development of students’ knowledge, skills and understanding.
- it prepares students for life-long learning into adulthood, by enabling them to draw on independent learning skills such as enquiry, investigation, initiative, time management and self- discipline
- it gives students the chance to undertake work not suited to ordinary lesson time and to exploit materials and sources of information not accessible in the usual teaching environment
- it strengthens home school liaison, developing the partnership between student, parent and teacher and keeping parents in touch with the nature of their child’s/children’s studies and methods
- it has been proven that students who regularly complete homework perform better in assessments.
How you can support your child
You can support your child by:
- providing a table, chair and a quiet place to work,
- negotiating when homework is to be done as a pupil’s free leisure time is important too,
- checking the time spent on individual homework tasks,
- checking presentation and content of all homework being returned to school,
- Checking ClassCharts and signing the Student Planner each week,
- providing the school with information about any problems through the Student Planner or by contacting the school directly,
- initiating and responding to the two-way communication via the Student Planner,
- supporting the student and the school in the implementation of the homework policy.
Every student has an email account to communicate with teachers and students. Provided via Office 365, it gives students access to the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more. 1TB of cloud storage is also provided.
Log in here and enter your username and password. Your username is the same as the computers in school followed by @bebingtonhigh.com. Your password is the same as the school computers. If you need help, speak to one of the ICT technicians or your Computing & ICT teacher.